What Is The Statute Of Limitations For Bringing A Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Generally, the deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit, or the “statute of limitations” in Georgia is two years from the date of injury. There are some exceptions, under Georgia law, that extend the statute of limitations. One exception is when the injured party is a minor. The minor has two years after he or she turns 18 to file the claim. Another exception, specific to the context of a car accident, is when there is a ticket or citation issued to the at fault driver. Then, the statute of limitations is actually two years from the date the ticket is resolved in court.
Even though the statute of limitations is normally a simple concept, these exceptions are nuanced, so it is important to consult an attorney about your case to make sure that you meet the statute of limitations for your situation.
What Steps Should I Take If I Have Been Injured in An auto Wreck and Need To File A Lawsuit?
In a perfect case involving a car accident, you want to start right at the scene of the collision. Here are some things you should do at the scene after getting to a safe place:
- Call the police to report the accident.
- If you are not too severely injured and you are in a safe place, take photographs of the scene, including the damage to each vehicle.
- If the police officer asks you if you need an ambulance and you are injured, say yes. Ideally, you want to be checked out by paramedics at the scene.
- Get eye witness contact information if possible.
After the accident, if you did not go to the hospital via ambulance and you are hurt:
- Go to an urgent care or to the emergency room as soon as possible.
- Call your insurance company as soon as it’s reasonable to tell them what happened. Do not agree to give a recorded statement.
- If you suffer from more than minor injuries, you should consult with an attorney to make sure that your rights are preserved and that if you have a claim, you proceed with it properly.
For more information on Statute Of Limitations For PI Claims In Georgia, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (404) 382-9926 today.
OBTAIN JUSTICE AND GET YOUR LIFE BACK
CALL NOW, DON'T PAY UNTIL WE WIN.